Thursday, February 17, 2011

Secret Weapon #3

This is our current scenery here in Provo.


Who would have guessed it was sunny, bright, and about 50 degrees yesterday?

Last night the winds and snow set in, so I made one of my favorite recipes.

One of our friends, Krista Coons, made this for us right after I had Millie.  I loved the creamy, yet smokey flavor.  Early this winter I wrote her for the recipe since I couldn't get it out of my head.

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

2-3 chicken breasts cooked and shredded ( I use a rotisserie chicken)
1 chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
3 cans chicken broth or one box of chicken broth
1/2 c-1 cup desired pasta noodles ( I use whatever I have on hand and to make it healthier I sometimes use wheat)

1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tps pepper
1/2 tsp sugar


In a sauce pan add veggies and chicken broth, simmer for about 15 minutes until veggies are tender/soft and turn up the heat and add noodles and chicken pieces. cook all together until noodles are done.

In a large soup pot add 1/2 c butter and melt it on medium heat. add about 1/3 cup of flour and stir together with the butter until it gets nice and bubbily. Add 4 cups of cold milk (whatever percent you like 2% makes it really rich and creamy but i usually use 1%). add 1 tsp of salt ,1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp sugar. On medium heat continually stir the mixture until it boils and thickens. Add the chicken broth and veggies to the milk mixture and let it cook a few more minutes together...its done!!!

I copied this straight from the email she sent me.  It's easy, yummy, and besides the rotisserie chicken and maybe celery you probably have all the ingredients on hand.

I haven't actually gotten around to bringing a sick friend food yet, but if I did this is what I would bring.

On another note, along with being a fabulous cook Krista is an artist.  I got to see her final art show at BYU and was very impressed with her work!  She has an etsy shop where she sells a little of her work (Her Name is Mud).  Right now she has darling ceramic jewelry up, and previously had these darling salt and pepper bowls.  I plan on ordering a set once I have a real kitchen.

Stay warm and take care of your sick friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment