Sunday, February 20, 2011

Speech Boot Camp

Tomorrow morning I'm heading to speech boot camp.
I kind of wish I was enrolling in a gym boot camp.  30 Day Shred will have to do for now.

Before I explain, let me catch you up on some Millie pictures.  I know that's really why you're here.

Millie enjoyed Valentines Day


If you know me well, you know I love a good deal.  I also love vintage things, especially children's clothing.  After attending the Gifts of the Heart Exchange and scoring one darling vintage summer outfit for Millie, I just had to see what DI had.

Check out these awesome overalls:

Yes, those are puppies keeping the padding for the knees in place.
Only after I took the picture did I notice she had spit up and crawled through it.  What's new? 

Handmade bright pink overalls for $2.  And yes Lani, I washed them before I put them on her.


I'm seriously considering making a collage of eating pictures.  This girl goes through more poses...
but I finally caught her standing up on her own!


And here's a first for us:


I'm not sure how one falls asleep with their arm in the air like that.
Poor girl only woke up after I couldn't hold in my laughter anymore.

I am so excited to announce we officially have a walker on our hands!  Millie walks, instead of crawls at least 50% of the time now.  I think it is a little funny because her feet are so tiny.  Can you imagine walking on feet three inches long?  She has nearly moved up to size 3 in shoes, but can still wear "crib shoes" which offer no grip on the bottom.

So to quickly catch you up, we had the team of therapists visit us on Wednesday.  The team consisted of two, so that was a relief.  I was wondering how many could even fit into my living room!  Both of them were great, and very knowledgeable.  They both gave me suggestions that I wanted to hear, so I am happy.  They also offered to enroll me in an 8 week Speech Therapy class for parents.  If I understood them  correctly, I'll be learning how to teach Millie (since it is more effective for me to do the therapy with her) and what to be looking for for the next few years with her.  Wonderful!  The only downside is that I will be missing two classes thanks to our two week trip to the Carolina's, but one of the therapists offered to catch me up.  

Know what my favorite part of this is?  The class is on Monday mornings in the PEIP office, so they offer child care!  I have been really wanting Millie to get more social interaction away from me, so hopefully this will do the trick.  Homegirl is clingy.

Tangent:  Parent's out there, help!  I try my darndest to not spoil this beautiful baby.  I try not to let her rule the roost when it comes to holding her instead of cooking lunch for us for example.  I go about my day expecting her to go play when I have things to do.  I still spend plenty of time on the ground with her playing, snuggling (if she'll let me), and doing therapy throughout the day.  I just can't only do those things.  You know?  I keep waiting for her to catch on, but instead I find this little one holding on to my leg whining.  Maybe I'm just whining and it is all normal.  Is it normal?  Am I missing something?  She is teething, so I'll give her a break on the whining.  But really?  It's more fun to hold my leg while I wash dishes than go play with your toys?  I love her and I'm flattered she wants to be near me, but please tell me it's just something "one year olds" do.

Ok back to the main point.  Thursday Millie's PT came over and was thrilled Millie could walk.  Not just walk, but walk and chew gum.  Or maybe it was walk and hold a toy.  And drop the toy, stop in the middle of the floor, pick it up, and resume walking without any assistance.  She said the next thing we need to work on is climbing onto our couch.  Poor girl is so short.

Friday we paid Dr. Later a quick visit.  I'm so glad I resisted the urge to hug him when he walked into the room.  We sure missed him, and are thrilled to be under this care again.  He was great, confirmed all my suspicions (Millie is doing super, don't worry about her vocal cord, keep doing what you're doing, and he liked me giving her pediasure).  The only thing he wasn't thrilled about was me cooking her eggs in butter.  You can't convince me all natural butter is worse for you than margarine.  Well maybe you could convince me, but for now I'm sticking to my old southern ways.  Butter is better.

Tuesday we are heading to beautiful South Carolina.  I am so excited.  It snowed a lot today, so I am even more excited for our little vacay.  Packing with a baby attached to your leg is a joke.  How am I going to back up for our move?  I'll save that for another day.  I know you've been dying to know what Dr. Later said about giving Millie medicine on the plane, so I guess I'll tell you.  He told me not to give her anything.  So that's what I'll do.  We've loaded the iPad with wonderful baby apps (if you know of any amazing free ones, do share!), I plan on wearing a necklace (her favorite), and I'll have loads of "new" toys and treats for her.  So wish us luck, and you better believe I'll let you know how it goes.

6 comments:

  1. you already know garrett didnt plsy by himself until around age 2. now hes great at it. i remember being so frustrated trying to pack to move cause garrett owuld unpack as i packed. pack the interesting stuff while shes sleeping then make a decoy box for while shes awake

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I figure out how to load my iTunes gift card on my iPod I'm going to try to download this Baby Einstein app. It's $1.99 but I'm hoping Nora likes it since she loves those puppets on the DVDs. I read an article on Parents.com about the best apps...they weren't free ones though. (Do you have an iTunes gift card?) One was peekaboo barn or something. Nora has now figured out how to move my apps around and I think maybe delete some. I haven't really noticed for sure, but I have some blank spots now. Oh I have one that might not be free anymore, but it was once, it's some flashcards of animals and things. I have several different versions of basically the same thing. She likes staring at it, but I have to flip to the next one for her.

    Maybe you can get her some puffs or something she doesn't normally eat anymore. That and pictures or books to look at. Thats what Nora does during church.

    We're so excited!

    Oh, and glad to know you washed those overalls!! Whew! (Have you seen one of those books I want at DI?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I'm going to be waiting to hear about what people say is the "trick" to get your kid to play alone. Maybe you can post about it when you figure it out. I've been wondering the same thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's so much information in this post, I don't even know what to comment on ;) Good luck on your trip! I can't wait to hear all about it. I can't even get ahold of you while you're gone because you don't have a cell phone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. the overalls are so cute! glad to hear millie is doing good! have fun down south wish i could tag along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute baby girl!! She's cute in everything she wears!

    ReplyDelete