Friday, December 5, 2008

Merry Christmas Mon!

For Enrichment this week, we had a lesson on traditions.  We talked about creating and preserving ones we wanted to use with our relatively new families.  The lesson was pretty good, but nothing stood out to me of things I wanted to plan on doing with our tiny Bagwell family.  After the lesson, we went around the room sharing one tradition from growing up that we enjoyed.  For some reason they started with my good friend Jessica, and I was second!  I don't think well on my feet, so I didn't even get to share my favorite family tradition.  Even though we no longer do this, I would still consider it a tradition because (1) I remember it from my childhood and (2) we did it for more that one year.

As a family (and by family I mean my grandparents, their five kids, any spouses, and any children) we would pile into our wonderful copper van (like the one Lani later drove to high school).  By pile, I mean we would sit in every nook and cranny of that "funk wagon" that would (to the naked eye) clearly only hold seven tops.  We would don our favorite Christmas attire, unload at an unsuspecting friend/neighbor's home, crank up the stereo, and sing (or Christmas Carol rather) to "A Reggae Christmas."  If you aren't familiar with this album, you are surely missing out.  My parents discovered it on a trip to the Caribbean (I believe) years ago, and originally purchased the cassette.  For some reason, it's the only Christmas music I can't get sick of.  I even sent some of the hymn-like (but still groovy) songs to Buck on his mission to sort of break him in before hand.

Even if Buck and I don't pile into an ugly copper "mystery machine" and embarrass ourselves to all of our favorite neighbors, I at least hope to always have the sounds of the Islands in my home at Christmas.  After all...all I want for Christmas is a real good tan, right?

Although this is my favorite, there are several others I would love to carry on.  We weren't allowed to look at ANYTHING without our parents being up, which I think is only fair.  We also HAD to have our teeth brushed (which is strange because we usually brush them after breakfast) before we could dive into the living room.  This was excruciating, but we couldn't stop giggling the whole time!  I also grew up with a different Christmas tree (and theme) every year.  Although Buck and I don't have the space or money to do this yet, I plan on designing a Christmas look for my home every year as well.  Oh, and we will have a fake tree.  I think real trees are a waste of money and energy.  I'm not opposed to a very small one in addition to our family one, or a wreath.  I like the smell, but who doesn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment