Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Brush With Death

It melts my heart when I find Millie in her crib looking like this:



You'll be glad I don't have actual pictures that go with the meat of this post.  I've been saving those gems for a good time to share, and now seemed as good as any.

So I'm 10 weeks at 2 days pregnant now.  Feel free to shout hooray.  Week 8 wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but week 9 was quite possibly the worst week of my life.  At least I hope I never go through that again.

Let me start by saying Nursery at church is awesome.  I love everything about it, except the occasional germs Millie brings home to share.  I mean let's be honest.  My child definitely puts the fake baby bottles in her mouth in Nursery, and I'm betting she's not the only one.  Germ swapping is inevitable.

Millie came down with a nasty bug in the middle of the night.  Luckily Buck checked on her (I'm so adamant about her crying it out for a while, but he has a soft heart and decided to get up) and found her in throw up again.  I stayed up with her all night long watching TV and cleaning up her throwing up about seven more times.  Eventually she stopped and slept, but the next day she was so weak she just laid around and slept.  It never even dawned on me that I could catch what she had.  I just held her and tried to help her in any way.

Well I got it and it was horrible.  I don't know if it was so bad because of the morning sickness as well, but I literally couldn't get off the couch (except to run to throw up).  Needless to say Millie ate lightly that day and watched anything she wanted...even Caillou which I strongly dislike.  That night Buck caught it, and had pretty much the same story as me.  In the more than 10 years I've known him I've never known him to throw up.  He definitely did, poor guy.  I mean I'm at least used to it.

So the point of this story isn't to gross you out, though I'm sure I have.  The point is to say Buck's Mom has certainly earned her spot in Heaven.  She was planning on coming to help me (over her birthday, I might add) and showed up right in the thick of our stomach bug.  She nursed us back to health, took care of Millie (we really couldn't have done that ourselves) and scrubbed our bathroom!  I had to share the details of our sickness to really drive home the magnitude of cleaning our bathroom.  We eventually got better but she still let me rest while she cleaned, cooked, grocery shopped, and entertained Millie.  I really think being pregnant with a full-time housekeeper is where it's at.

One last thing about the sickness, I promise.  Laying around thinking about the pain I was in gave me time to ponder a little bit.  I really felt like being on the verge of death couldn't feel much worse.  I've been blessed to be surrounded by long-living family members, so I have not seen a lot of death or suffering.  My Dad's Mom passed away a few years ago somewhat slowly.  She kept coming to mind as I tried to convince myself I would eventually feel better.  It must have been so hard for her to smile and even talk with each family member that wanted to see her.  Actually when you feel that crummy, smiling and talking is downright heroic.

Enough of the heavy stuff.  I'm feeling so good today I think I might actually do an activity with Millie. I've got another ultrasound this week and I'm meeting with a genetic counselor in a few weeks.  My doctor has everyone do it as well as some tests for the baby I didn't have in Utah.  I can definitely tell I live in a more liberal state.  I'll save my pro-life post for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! That is so exciting! Do you know if you're baby is at risk for the same situation Millie was in? Do they know if it's genetic or was it just a fluke? Either way, we'll definitely pray for your (and the baby's) health and safety! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you guys, Niki! I'm so sorry you were all so sick but glad to hear you had someone to take good care of you and that you're all feeling better now. Here's hoping you never have to go through that again! Hope your pregnancy is going well and you are feeling ok. We're counting down the days now (10) till we get to find out gender!!! Can't wait. Pregnancy truly is amazing--but I agree with you, I'd sell my right arm to be able to have a live-in housekeeper through it all. Maybe someday. Ha.

    ReplyDelete