Sunday, April 22, 2012

Half Way There!


Everyone has been kind enough to not ask for belly pictures or comment on how large my tummy is, but in order to document this baby I thought I'd get Buck to take a half way picture.  In this picture I'm 20 weeks exactly, but today I'm 21 weeks.  Its quite an ordeal to take belly pictures, so hats off to the weekly belly shot mommas out there.

I've been larger than when I had Millie for a few weeks, but I'm still not to Millie's gestation (23 weeks 6 days) yet.  That sure makes me scared for delivery!  Having a 1 lb 4 oz baby was still no walk in the park, and I obviously plan on having a larger one this time.  Let's just say in many ways I feel like this is my first pregnancy.

I've had an interesting few weeks since my surgery, feeling quite scared sometimes and totally at peace others.  At my first appointment back to the doctor after surgery I was surprised with a whole new list of physical restrictions in order to help me avoid bed rest.  I really thought the cerclage would help me be able to do more.  I was wrong.  I can't exercise and should avoid too much walking, can't chase Millie at the play ground, and I can't do any heavy cleaning, etc.  I know all of these sound like a dream come true to some, but it's really hard for me since I finally feel good enough to do these things.  It doesn't help that Buck is still swamped with studying for his last CPA exam so he can't pick up my slack exactly.  Soon though.

In practicing "taking it easy" for a week I managed to get myself pretty freaked out about bed rest.  What would I do?  I don't have any family here.  In some cases bed rest (at home) means you even have to have someone bring you food.  I could probably find someone to help with Millie but not stay at my house all day feeding me, too.  I came up with a few plans, and feel good about my situation.  I genuinely believed at first that this pregnancy would go completely smooth and I would feel confident the whole time.  I guess I forget all the little aches and pains you naturally get and have to interpret along the way.  I'm not good at guessing when I need medical help and when I should just "walk it off."

I went back to the doctor for my weekly appointment Friday (yep, weekly now) and shared my plans with them.  I was so relieved when I was told that they really don't think I'll need bed rest (though anything can happen, of course) and things couldn't look better for me.  They also mentioned I'm probably freaking out because I'm getting to that point where I had Millie, and my confidence will probably build up a few weeks after that point.  I got my first shot of progesterone which was huge.  Not too painful, but it's big enough that they like to tell you when they are half way done.  It has to be given to you in that portion of your lower back/hip that can hold massive shots.  I'll be getting that weekly.

It's not very entertaining, but that's my half way report.  I'm feeling healthy, but still can't eat like I used to.  Trust me, ice cream settles so much better than veggies.  Couple that with exercise restrictions and I should look like I'm carrying twins in no time.

On a family note, Buck has finished interviewing for new jobs (his ends in June) so hopefully the next word you hear from me will be about our plans!

6 comments:

  1. i was more freaked out with jocie and emmy than i was with garrett so i can only imagine after miliie's surprise delivery the thoughts you are having. i love that your doctor can offer emotional support for high risk pregos i didnt even think about that but that makes total sense that you will be a little more confident and less worried after you pass millies mark. if you stay in ct and we go to ny then we will be there to help out at the end at least. i was so sad to wait a month to meet millie so im excited to be there at the beginning this time. hopefully. cant wait to hear next news about jobs. love yall

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps love the picture. your a beautiful pregnant lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on bedrest for many months with toddlers, so if you end up at that point, I have a lot of ideas. When I was pregnant with Taylor, Justin would bring me breakfast, and leave me and Rachael lunch packed in a cooler. My visiting teachers came in every few days to give me a break and take Rachael to the park etc. We read a lot of books :) Let me know if you need more help with Millie. I'd love to take her again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend from my ward growing up and his wife had the cerclage done with their last pregnancy. They have a little girl about Lucy's age and she was delivered early (like really early) and they had another that came really early and didn't make it. They just had a baby about a year ago and they were so happy that the cerclage helped them have an almost full term baby. Your post sounds so similar to their experience. I hope you have a good outcome like they did, I am sure you will. You sould like you are on the right path I can't imagine having to be on limitations like that with a toddler. Hopefully you have an awesome RS there and you can get all the help you need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great Niki! We are excited for a little guy to be entering your lives soon, and crossing our fingers your family ends up working/moving out our way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Niki you look great! You are such a good momma- I can't even imagine all that stress and worry- and with Buck being so busy right now too!! Hang in there! Wish we could bring you dinner tonight and have sweet Millie come play all day so you could relax. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete