Thursday, January 15, 2009

My First Attempt at Couponing

I've recently come to the realization that we spend too much money on food.  Other than rent this is our biggest expense.  I'm sure this is true for most people, but I want a bigger apartment, more clothes, and to vacation more.  That means the money has to come from somewhere!

I hosted a couponing class at my house Monday night with a few of my closest friends.  We learned about a website that uses this easy method of saving coupons from the Sunday paper and printing them online and merging the weekly sales to save you the most money.  It's designed to help you keep about a 6 month supply of food in your house, so you just shop from your pantry instead of the grocery store as needed.

My dear husband accidentally volunteered me to teach part of our stake fireside on Sunday about "stretching your dollar," so I really wanted to get this couponing thing down before then.

I got the above amount of food (valued at about $60 retail at Albertson's) for about $16 using coupons and the sales adds together.  It's not the greatest, but I'm pretty happy for being such a newbie.  Wish me luck explaining it on Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK! I'll be in the front row listening very closely just to make you nervous. What else are friends for? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. $60 worth of food for $16!! That is awesome! I need you to teach me how to do that! We are the same way with food here. :-/

    ~Amy Helms

    ReplyDelete