Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bliss


We love spending all day, every day with this sweetie. Our first week home together has been bliss.


Millie had her first doctors appointment. I managed to haul Millie and all of her equipment to the office all by myself. The appointment went well, and we go in for another one on Tuesday. By the way, we love our Pediatrician, Dr. Later. He really goes out of his way for this girl.


She is so good! This is her catching a little cat nap. Can't keep those hands away from her face!


Thanks to her massive oxygen concentrator, our apartment stays a cool 81 degrees! Sometimes I feel too bad swaddling her with PJ's on, so I let her run around naked.

(always manages to wiggle her hands and feet out!)

She was loving sitting up when I held her, so I thought we'd try to bumbo for a second. She was deeply confused! She's too small for it right now, but I imagine it will be our best friend in a few months.


What's New:

  1. Not to brag, but Millie sleeps through the night! Since we brought her home, she's only woken up once to eat in the middle of the night. It's been so nice. As long as she's gaining an appropriate amount of weight (we'll find out Tuesday) then we can keep it this way. If not, we'll have to start waking her up to eat. Been there, done that. Not interested.
  2. Millie will be FIVE months old on the 24th! Hard to believe, huh? I'm dying to take her out in public so strangers will ask me how old she is. She's still pretty small and wearing newborn clothes. I accidentally forgot to stock up on 0-3months so she'll be squeezing into newborn sizes for a while. Oh well, she's got lots of cute things!
  3. She is eating like a champ! At the hospital her normal feedings were between 50-60 ml, but her first feeding once we walked into our apartment was 90! She's taken off since then and now eats anywhere from 70-140 consistently. I hope that means she likes living with us! Of course now she only eats 5-6 times/day instead of 8. This girl is loving her freedom. She loves sleeping and eating when she wants.
  4. Right as we were taking her home from the hospital we found out Millie has Pulmonary Hypertension. Google it if you want to know what it is. I'm still not 100% sure myself because we never got to talk to the cardiologist. This is why Millie is back on oxygen. She has been cleared to fly without oxygen if the cabin pressure is about 5,000 feet. From my research it looks like planes go from 5-8,000 so we might have to get her on oxygen for her trip to South Carolina. You'd think since it's a disability airlines would fall all over themselves to accommodate you, but actually it's the opposite. If we have to get her special "air travel friendly" equipment we will personally have to shell out about $600. More than our plane tickets! We will learn more at her doctors appointment on Tuesday.

Don't let that last point fool you. It sounded kind of depressing...sorry! We are still so happy to have her home. I love every second of it. I love waking up (at the decent hour of 7AM!) to her sweet little grunts. I love to see her eyes open for the first time in hours. I love to pick her up and put her between Buck and I in our bed so we can all cuddle. I love knowing that her favorite way to fall asleep is to the (fake) sound of the ocean. Now we all fall asleep best Millie's way. I love taking her on walks and seeing her reaction to a quick breeze. I love teaching Millie all about this amazing world around her. I can't wait to introduce her to some of her biggest fans.

Thanks for keeping up with our little family.

4 comments:

  1. You are such a great mother! I feel so happy for Millie that she was sent to you. So many people would complain and feel burdened, yet you have so much love for her and are so uplifting with your stories. It inspires me to be a better mom and to look for the best in situations. Thank you for your honest example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you guys! You finally get to have your little angel at home! (This is Anna, Caleb's mom from the NICU, by the way.) She is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that bumbo picture!! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the pictures! congrats on handling all of that aparatus on your own. How did Buck do? Premie babies are the best! they tend to be great sleepers and noise doesn't bother them much. After all they are use to all the beeping and voices going on. I can't believe how big she has gotten! Very soon she will meet her cousin!

    ReplyDelete