Thursday, March 10, 2011

Flying With a One-Year-Old Part Two


We made it back to Utah yesterday and I'm already writing up how our flight went.  Does that give you a hint of how easy it was?  It was easy.  Since you're here, I might as well tell you a few details.

Our flight from Charlotte left at 6:00 AM.  I was not a happy camper at 4 AM getting ready to leave for the airport (and thank you Tutu and Rara for driving us!), but leaving that early turned out to be wonderful.

We sat in the window seat on our first flight, which I now think is the way to go.  Everyone you talk to and everything you read says you must get an isle seat.  When I fly alone I'm a window seat girl.  I don't mind sitting still for hours, and hate getting up so other people (who can't sit still) can move around.  We both slept, and leaned on the window.  It felt like we were flying first class since we weren't wrestling between the isle and our neighbor.  Amazing.

I had a sweet experience.  Right after take off I started getting so sleepy I couldn't keep my eyes straight. Of course Millie wasn't ready to nap.  I started wondering if it would be okay for me to snooze while she "played."  That's how sleepy I was.  I said a quick little prayer asking for her to get sleepy or me to wake up, and a few minutes later she was out.  We both were.  It was great.

We had about an hour of "run around" time in Texas.  I decided to let Millie walk while I pushed the stroller of our stuff up and down the terminal.  Would you believe this little girl made about 25 friends in just that quick hour?  She did.  If someone was paying her attention she smiled at them as we passed.  If someone wasn't paying her attention, she stopped, walked up to them, touched their leg or bag, and smiled when they made eye contact.  She took a particular liking to a young man (maybe 20 years old) who had no clue what to do with a baby.  She insisted on us walking over to him about six times.  We walked lap after lap until she was too tired to go any further without falling every other step.

She slept on the next flight.  We both did.

She did so good I had people compliment me on both flights with how well behaved my baby was.  If they only knew how bad it could have been.

Since we are now experienced travelers I've learned:
1.  Fly early in the morning.  Millie is grouchy in the evening normally, so obviously she isn't going to be "great" on the airplane during that time.
2.  Window seats, for me, are the way to go.
3.  People are so nice.  I still made a point to apologize for Millie pulling their hair, kicking them, or coughing on them.  I think those apologies went a long way.

Now I think I'll catch y'all up on what we did while we were there...

1 comment:

  1. yeah! I love the window seat too! I think it lends more room because you can lean on the window etc. The aisle seat you have to watch your shoulder from being taken off by the cart or some heavier person passing through for the restroom and you can't lean on anything unless you want to make instant friends with your neighbor! Which by the way, every flight we have ever ridden on and Aden has fallen asleep. He always lays across the persons tray, or falls onto their shoulder! We have been so lucky that everyone thinks its so sweet and tells us not to wake him! I mean, he's 10!! LOL

    ReplyDelete