Monday, March 28, 2011

Follow Up

I feel like I say this all the time, but we've been busy.  Before I catch up on how Millie is doing, I'll walk you through some of her shenanigans.

She keeps me on my toes...

(Isn't that the face of someone up to something?)

Millie is nearly tall enough to pull things off the table.  Hopefully this new discovery will help push her to ask me for help since we keep most things just out of reach.


She's transitioning from peek-a-boo to hide-n-seek.  It's adorable.





No she hasn't taken up smoking.  Remember that wretched cough that caused her to throw up on the flight to Charlotte?  Well she's still got it.  Yep, it's been more than a month.  We're trying treatments with the nebulizer to see if that helps.  So far nothing, but I plan on giving it until Wednesday before I call the doctor again.


They are pretty quick treatments, but still difficult to give to a very on-the-go girl.  We usually put on one of her favorite movies and force her into the bumbo.  It works half the time.

Two things:
1.  My house isn't messy.  I'm not sure why it looks that way in the pictures, but I can assure you it is spotless.
2.  Millie doesn't have brown hair.  Don't say it.  She doesn't.  All of these pictures were taken at night with the horrible flash, so it looks darker than normal.  Yesterday walking to church the though crossed my mind that she may have strawberry blonde hair, though.  Trust me though, it's not brown.  There is nothing wrong with brown.  It's just that brown isn't blonde, bless it's heart.

Ok, let's catch up.  Last week I took Millie to the NICU follow up clinic in Salt Lake.  It is something many NICU graduates are invited to do so the NICU can see how their patients are doing and the parents get a very detailed check up on their children.  I was working for Millie's last appointment, so Buck took her.  I have been looking forward to seeing it all first-hand for a long time.  We got to the Health Department at 8:50 AM and left at 1:00 PM.  It was a long day, complete with driving through snow (yuck).

She did super, just like I hoped.  The very helpful nutritionist pointed out that Millie is in the 10th percentile for weight and 50th percentile for height, so she's what we all dream of.  Tall and thin.  I think it's obvious which side of the family she gets that from.  She also reassured me I'm feeding her properly and gave me some more ideas of foods, which I love!

The Pediatrician was pleased, and commented that her gums looked "full."  Hopefully more teeth will sprout soon.  The eye doctor said her eye sight in her left eye has gotten worse, so we'll need to have her examined again in 6 months.  He said he is positive she will be in glasses before she starts school.

The Audiologist said she did great, and even tested a little advanced.  I'm not sure how you "hear" advanced, but I'm not an Audiologist.  My most proud moment though was with the Psychologist.  She passed all of his "tests" with flying colors, so he threw a curve ball at her for the very last test.  He gave her crayons and a piece of paper.  He scribbled first, then handed the crayon to her.  I just knew she was going to put the crayon in her mouth since I had just tried this the week before.  She didn't.  She colored for him.  Twice even.

It was a long day, and we were one of the last families there.  Millie played with a little girl in the waiting room towards the end of the day. She was a hoot.  She noticed a smell and just had to ask "ewww, who farted?"  Her Mom quickly hushed her up.  I walked over to where they were playing and noticed it smelled really bad too.  It seriously smelled like a port-a-potty.  They were playing right by the bathroom so I pointed out it was probably the bathroom that smelled.  Shortly after that incident Millie and I were called back to meet with the Audiologist.  I was horrified to figure out her office smelled too.  Seriously I was starting to feel sick it smelled so bad (and I hadn't eaten).  When we went into the "booth" to do some audio testing, and that smelled too, I decided it could possibly be Millie.  It was.  I couldn't believe it.  Seriously the aroma filled that entire place.  Thankfully we left after that and I changed her in the car.  I couldn't face that poor waiting room again.

We're happy the NICU follow up clinic is behind us, and I'm positive no one was sad to see us go.

3 comments:

  1. love this update and loved the sweet gown she's wearing! can i have it? and matter of fact, can i have her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well looks like the best of us wear glasses through elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks just like Nora pulling stuff off the tables...grrr...its annoying it's so constant! =)

    ReplyDelete