Saturday, August 17, 2013

Rachel

     I don't really write about Millie being a preemie much anymore.  The truth is it doesn't consume my thoughts like it once did.  I love that experience, but I've kind of moved on.  Thankfully she has very few daily reminders of her miraculous beginning.  Can I blame the constant whining on that?

     When we're meeting people for the first time it occasionally comes up.  Sometimes I refer to her riding the mini-bus to preschool which is only a privileged given to the "special needs" children.  Other times we talk about her glasses and why she has them at such a young age.  Most of the time these conversations don't go far.  Most people just nod in acceptance and ask how long we've lived here or how old Louis is.

     Today I met an incredible neighbor on the playground.  She asked a few questions about Millie and then shared with me the story of her daughter, Rachel.  She was born just a little bit early which turned out to be a good thing.  She appeared completely healthy, but the neonatologist noticed something unusual and figured out she had a heart condition.  She had surgery at 6 months old to correct her condition and was given at 98% chance of survival from the surgery.  She passed just days after the surgery.

     I couldn't help but flip back to Millie as a tiny baby.  I couldn't imagine knowing her for 6 blissful months and then her being gone.  It reminded me of that terrible night in the NICU where we witnessed a baby pass away right outside of Millie's room.  It was too much to handle.  I actually teared up a little as she was telling me the story, about 3 minutes after meeting her for the first time.

     She went on to share with me a little bit more about her.  She has a son going into 2nd (there at the playground) who she adopted miraculously after 7 years of infertility.  I was just blown away by how quickly I learned about this sweet woman.  I can attribute that all to having Millie miraculously.  It was a blessing then, and the experience still blesses me today.  It could have possibly taken me years to learn so much about a neighbor that I might run into once a year on the playground.

     I am so thankful for her birth, her 135 days in the NICU, and especially every day since.  Isn't she beautiful?



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful little miracle!! I don't think about Caleb's prematurity much, either, but that's mostly because the serious problems we're dealing with don't have anything to do with it. And truthfully, those NICU days were a wonderful time for us. I kinda miss it!

    ReplyDelete