Sunday, March 7, 2010

Count Your Blessings

Last night Buck and I had a very interesting experience at the hospital. Keep in mind Millie is still in the "A" side of the NICU, with the babies that need a little more care.

We went in last night with plans to play with, nurse, and give Millie a bath. We left before we could do it all.

After I finished nursing Millie, Buck held her for the rest of her feeding. I was walking around her room changing her bedding and cleaning up when I noticed a whole trail of people start to flood in around a baby just outside Millie's door. This was abnormal because 1. every nurse, doctor, and respiratory therapist as far as the eye could see was there, and 2. the family brought in at least 6 people (we are only allowed 4, tops).

I kept an eye out to see what all the commotion was, and then I began noticing different nurses announcing "Her heart rate is 32," and the like. Millie's heart rate is typically around 100. Whoa. What is going on? No one was really moving, they were just watching.

We had a visit from one of the Occupational Therapists that confirmed our suspicions. That baby was dying. Right outside our door. Right next to Millie.

Needless to say we lost it. We kissed our sweet baby goodnight and headed home. We couldn't stick around and wait.

The worst part? That baby was 24 weeks gestation and a few days old. Millie was 23. As far as we know, that is the 2nd 24 weeker to pass away since Millie was born. They haven't had any other 23 weekers since Millie.

We even knew that baby's name. Today, we're counting our blessings.

3 comments:

  1. Awwe...that's so sad. It made me cry! Good thing Millie's Miraculous Millie! She's a tough cookie. Maybe if she gets mean and grumpy when she's old we'll know why...she's just tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad. I try and catch the Provo paper online as often as I can since we still know people in the valley . . . I happened to read that a twin girl that passed away recently and wondered if you had known about her.

    We are so excited about all the hurdles Miss Millie is reaching! We continue to pray for her and know it won't be much longer until she goes home with y'all! ~Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I just can't imagine! My heart goes out to that family! Millie is such a miracle and that shall never be forgotten! I'm glad things seem to be going well for her and I hope her eyes can begin to do better!

    ReplyDelete