Monday, March 1, 2010

Back on the Roller Coaster...Statistically Speaking

Let me just warn you, if you're enjoying my positive outlook on things you should probably skip this post. I'm feeling a little down today.
Millie is so pretty. So pretty in fact, that she was asked to pose with this green thing for a picture that will be used to help raise money for the NICU at a Gala here in March.
Take a good look at those eyes...


Because it's official...Millie is having eye surgery today. We just found out late last night.
Basically her retinas are trying to finish forming (her peripheral vision) but there is some scar tissue preventing them from growing like they should. That makes the veins mad so they keep trying, and if they aren't stopped they could completely detach her retinas. Detached retinas equals blindness.
So to combat the veins, we are trying laser eye surgery. I say trying because there is a chance it might not stop the veins like it should. A 20% chance it might not.
So what? There is an 80% chance it will work. 80% is great. Well today I can't stop thinking about that 20%. Boo.
Babies have a 12% chance of being born prematurely.
There was a tiny chance Millie's vocal cord could be damaged from her heart surgery.
Hmmm...
On the other hand, babies born at 23 weeks gestation have an 18% chance of surviving.
Oh Millie, you are a miracle.
I have a 20% chance of having my next baby be born prematurely.
By the way, if her retina detaches there are surgeries we could look into to re-attach them. It would involve open-eye surgery. Of course we haven't discussed this with our doctor yet because there is an 80% chance this will work. But in the back of my mind, I know that blindness is a possibility.
I love this little girl. I want the best for her. We couldn't have a better doctor to preform the surgery. She has already proven to be the "A" student. I'm trying to be positive.
So the surgery is tonight. Please keep Millie and her doctor in your prayers. Buck and Millie's Uncle Geoff gave Millie a blessing last night. I know everything will work out, I'm just feeling down. The worst part is that we have to wait a week (a WHOLE week) to see if the surgery worked. I don't want to be grumpy for a WHOLE week! And it will be a few days before we can hold her again.

The best part is that most of her vision has developed. She will only be losing a tiny bit! Also once this eye thing is behind us, we can just work on feeding and bringing her home. She has been nursing wonderfully, so I will be happy to know we are moving forward...in a week.
Thank you for your kind words and prayers in our behalf. Sorry for the negative post, but I'm entitled to one, right?

10 comments:

  1. Well be praying for her Niki! Hopefully she's in the 80%!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki you definitely deserve the right to be a little grumpy and disgruntled! I think Millie has proven to be a miracle like you said and look at all the odds that have faced her and gone by....AMAZING! You and Millie are in my prayers and something just tells me today that everything's gonna be alright...so now we wait! The whole week part of it is definitely a stink so I guess it's time to keep busy....until we hear some good news right! Take care and give Miss Millie my love! You are all in our thoughts and prayers! Go Millie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just a little bump in the road Niki. I remember when JJ was in the NICU they kept telling us to expect for all these for every step forward there would be a few steps back. We did have a few scares and he got thru them wonderfully. She has done so well and I am sure she will pass this too! She will be protected no matter what and I know this is hard right now! You are in my thoughts and prayers! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know if you remember us, but I saw a link to your blog and have been following Millie's story. She's so cute! We hope all goes well with the surgery, and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely you deserve to have grumpy days!!! It's in a mother's nature to focus on the 20%'s of life ... we try not to worry, but it's pointless to even suggest NOT worrying, because it's in our nature. Given though, that Millie has been such a miracle baby, I'm sure Heavenly Father will continue to keep the miracles coming. :) It's such a wonderful thing that Buck is a worthy priesthood holder to give blessings. Praying for Millie and you and Buck! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the surgery! We are praying that it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're praying for Millie...you should have a bad day! Besides- Its monday and mondays are always awful!

    Me and Scott always talk about how positive you guys are and it helps us to do the same with our challenges... Millie will do great in the surgery! yah for 80%!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate your honesty. I think I would feel the same way. You have been so inspiring and positive throughout this whole process. We are praying for you guys and for Millie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i dunno what ur talking about, ur not grumpy, just in mommy mode, a little protective and worried. thats a good thing i guess. :) but keep on going girlie! i love u guys and miss ya! sad i wont be moving to utah. shucks. keep up the good work guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gosh niki, if this is negative! I dont think it was negative at all. it was true emotion of true worries. It brought me to tears because I can feel the love and concern that you have for your little miracle. I've been a little behind on reading, I know, dutifully slapped. but, I read surgery went well. She is a miracle and her story will be told by many.

    ReplyDelete